Monday, January 10, 2011

A Year of Reading for Everyone

As we usher in 2011 - OK, I am a little late out of the gate.  In any case, our family has joined the 50 Book Pledge for 2011.  I will be posting the reviews of the books I have read here, and any interesting comments from the kids.  If I can convince them, every once in a while, they will post their own reviews here too.

When I brought the idea of the 50 book challenge to the dinner table, I got mixed reviews.  The older two kids (15 and 13) were pretty interested and open about it; the younger two (11 and 6) were less receptive.  They basically decided I was not talking to them!  My husband, who loves to read PhD math textbooks, upped the ante by offering $50 to each child who completed the challenge!  I suggested $1 per book completed and $75 for finishing all 50.  You might not believe this, but suddenly, all four kids were accepting the challenge! 

A couple of days later I was on an outing with my six-year old.  We were in Chapters and I was trying to convince him to (let me) buy him a book to get him going on the challenge.  To be perfectly honest, he was wavering.  "But I can't read!" he wailed.  I assured him that we would read with him.  "Okay," he said.  We bought a Geronimo Stilton (in French) called "Champion de Foot".  Over the next few days, my eldest daughter and I took turns reading it with him (he read the coloured words).  He has now coloured in TWO squares on his chart!  He read Robert Munsch's "Just One Goal" all by himself!

As of Saturday night, 3 of us had read 2 books; 1 read 1; and my eldest son is 3/4 of the way through his first book.  Sunday afternoon, people were floudering a bit as to what to read next.  It just so happened that my younger daughter  had a birthday party to attend so I was hunting through my stash to find a suitable present.  I found a gift AND I found a new book for each of the other kids to read!  How exciting!

Now that everyone is reading, what types of books will you be seeing on this blog?  As the name implies, I mostly read children's and YA books.  I generally love fantasy books, but they have to be essentially "happy" for me to read them.  I tend to be quite sensitive when it comes to books.  If I get too scared, I WILL have nightmares and WILL put the book down!  Every once in a while, I will read an adult book;  something like Maeve Binchy or Sophie Kinsella.

The frequency of posts is entirely dependant upon my available reading time and my available posting time.  While there are many factors that influence these two variables, my baby's level of contentment is by far the most influential!  When my baby, who will be 1 next month, nurses a lot, I read a lot.  When my baby is happy and content to play at my side, I can post.

There you have it!  I hope you will enjoy this blog and be inspired to read along with us!

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if my kids would take up the challenge for $150... or for the pleasure of competing with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CANNOT believe you would even consider paying your kids to read! But they should do it anyway, just 'cuz it's fun:)

    ReplyDelete