Friday, January 28, 2011

Family Literacy Day

My day derailed almost before it began when I was reminded that it was Family Literacy Day.  As you can well imagine, it doesn't take much to have me switch my focus to literacy!  All other thoughts, plans, to-do lists for the day flew out the window.  The day was instantly reframed.  The new to-do list looked something like this:

1. visit the library - I bet they have something going on and we could borrow some more books!  The  only dilemma I faced was when could I go?  If I waited until everyone got home from school, there wouldn't be enough time before my eldest daughter had to be at her dance class.  After class, well, the library would be practically closed and, just by the way, my kids all have school tomorrow!  Ok.  No problem, I would decide the when a little later.

2.  put on a play after/during dinner - would have to look for a play.  I think we have a stage version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or maybe one from one of our other script collections.  I was confidant I would find just the right thing.

3.  have dessert at supper.  The kids could spell "dessert" and figure out how to cut the cake/pie up evenly between us.

Ok.  Are you ready for reality?  This is how the day panned out.

1.  library.  Did not happen:(  Too many competing factors; too little time.  BUT we did watch the live broadcast of Robert Munsch telling stories at a school in Whitby Ontario!  That was fun!  I enjoyed it with my two bookends (oldest and youngest) kids.  I had to get my priorities in line at one point .  As I was walking out the door to pick up my eldest daughter from school, my son called out "he's doing We Share Everything".  My favourite!  I was driving home with my daughter, having thoroughly embarrassed her in  front of her friends (the rest of the carpool) - I guess teenage girls think that Family Literavy Day should stay in the family :) - my son called to tell me I was missing "Look At Me!"  Torture!  So, I mostly enjoyed Robert Munsch.  I really loved seeing the kids up on the stage with him.  The best was at the beginning when he had a boy (for Ronald), a girl (Elizabeth) and an adult (the dragon) to help him show and tell A Paperbag Princess.  The boy acting Ronald was superb, even my 15 year old son thought he was great!

2.  I found and printed off two reader's theatre pieces for our dinner theatre event.  I found them at http://www.teachingheart.net/readerstheater.htm and http://www.storiestogrowby.com/script.html.  The first one we tried was pretty good.  The second one was great!  I think I might try it again at a faster pace, i.e., everyone with their own script instead of us passing the script back and forth across the table.  I would like to video it as it had a nice feel and rhythm to it.  Anyway, we al lhad fun and we read together!

3.  dessert.  I made Luscious Lemon Squares.  In order to receive your piece, you had to complete the alliteration.  We had "luscious lemon literacy lozenges", "lots of lovely luscious lemon loads", "luscious lemon logs", "lushon hara" - from my six year old, pure cuteness :), and another absolutely amazing alliteration that I have forgotten :(  The word game was exponentially more fun than the dessert was delicious, ah well.

All in all, a successful Family Literacy Day in our home.  Hope it was in yours as well.  Let us know what you did in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment