Thursday, January 27, 2011

Is Silence Always Golden?

Every Time We Say GoodbyeEvery Time We Say Goodbye by Jamie Zeppa

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Every Time We Say Goodbye arrived on my doorstep from goodsreads.com firstreads only a short week ago. I was so excited and started reading almost immediately. Well, I had to tend to the baby; take my son skating and guide him through his homeschooling day; and as the day wore on, drive carpools for the older kids; I had to make dinner, help with homework and get them all safely tucked into their beds - but then, I IMMEDIATELY started reading this book!

I was hooked almost from the get-go. For my initial reactions, please visit my blog at kidlit2011.blogspot.com and read the "A FREE Book!" entry. In every book, each reader tends to gravitate to and relate to a specific character. Every Time We Say Goodbye is inhabited by several well developed and interesting characters. My heart attached itself to Grace from the first moments. I was torn to pieces as I grew up alongside her. While I met many others along the journey, I was constantly wondering about Grace. Where was she? When would I see her again? It drove me to distraction. This is not to say that I didn't learn from my dealings with the other characters. On the contrary. I felt for Vera, even though I rarely saw eye-to-eye with her. I struggled along in frustration and annoyance with Dean.

Zeppa takes on an incredible journey of love and loss and rediscovery. Of family. As most of my family and friends already know, I am extraordinarily sensitive to my reading material; I get a little too attached. So, while I may have preferred to have heard the story from another, more cheery, perspective, I fully understand, respect, and support Zeppa's decision to tell from the viewpoint she did.

What struck me with this story is the sense of sadness that seemed to exist almost solely due to several serious miscommunications, or rather, chosen silences. What are we doing when we silence those around us, and within us? When we fail to listen, even to our own hearts? Every Time We Say Goodbye begins in the 1930s, maybe even a little earlier. It was in many ways a simpler time, in many ways more complicated. We have since removed many inhibitions and created new rules by which to live and raise our children. We like to think that we are there for them, we respect them and listen to them. But are we? Do we? We live in an age of constant and instant communication: we can text, facebook, call, email, almost anyone, almost anytime. Yet, we often fail to really communicate, fail to really listen. We are so enlightened, and yet so in the dark. Are we really listening, are we hearing? As I read this book, I was reminded of some of the many ways in which we can silence those around us.

This is a beautifully written and thought-provoking work whose characters come alive on the pages of our minds.

Thank you firstreads for this journey.  Book 6 of my 50 in 2011 Book Challenge!

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Silence is simply another form of communication. When you refuse to speak you're saying a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that so? Usually not happy things, though.

    ReplyDelete