Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Book 2 of The Wednesday Tales; Book 3 of my 50 in 2011

The Tiger's Egg (The Wednesday Tales Series #2)The Tiger's Egg by Jon Berkeley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Finally a sequel I can enjoy! I often find that the second book in a series is quite a bit darker than its predecessor. Think Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets or Beyond the Valley of Thorns, even Icefire but not Dragon's Breath. The Tiger's Egg holds onto the magic of The Palace of Laughter: The Wednesday Tales No. 1, moves the plot forward and generally remains happy and light in spirit.

That being said, Miles has some pretty intense encounters and gets involved with some seriously nasty characters. He is on a quest to find out what he can about his parents; how does he know who to believe when everyone is saying different things? Who can he trust? And does he really want to know the truth?

Along the way, Miles discovers some special magic all his own. There is a symbolism here of drawing on your inner strength and resources. I don't want to spoil it for you by saying too much because it is really cool the way that Jon Berkeley brings it all together in the book.

Tiger's Egg is at a magical and mysterious adventure that keeps the pages turning.  AND, it is book 3 of my 50 in 2011 book challenge!



View all my reviews

2 comments: