Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fablehaven: It is not as scary as you might think!

Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I looked and looked at this book. I repeatedly borrowed it from the library, only to return it unread. Half of me was drawn to it, curious; the other half, terrified! My husband would be appalled and marketing executives chuckling with glee, but I must admit that it was the cover of the book that had this most powerful effect on me. As Kendra and Seth discover in "Fablehaven", our imaginations create enough monsters and visions, we do not need to add to them!

So what made me finally open the book? Well, I put on a blindfold, and kept it on until I was certain I was past the cover artwork. I am just kidding! I was strengthened by Dragon Seer, and full of adrenaline from the excitement of the 50 Book Challenge. Crazy, eh? I know, you are scared - so was I!

Kendra and Seth are dumped at their paternal grandparents while their parents go on a 2 1/2 week cruise. These grandparents are rather aloof and don't really participate in family gatherings so Kendra and Seth have only seen them a couple of times. They really don't want to stay with their grandparents for so long. The drive alone seems never-ending. They wind through the wilderness, driving hours to reach their grandparents home, and when finally there, endure a further seemingly endless journey up the unkempt driveway. Their misgivings are further confirmed when they are greeted by their grandfather - what's up with their grandmother anyway? Grandfather had some lame excuse for her absence the last time they saw him, and now again... Throughout the course of their visit, they get to know their grandparents and begin to unravel much of the mystery that has always, and still does, surrounded them.

This book is another journey of self-discovery, especially for Kendra. She learns as much about herself as she does about her grandparents. She faces some of her fears head on and comes out stronger and braver than she ever thought she could be. Kendra's adventures appear to be so much bigger than those we face in our mundane everyday existence, but such is the nature of fiction. Sometimes things need to be exaggerated to catch our attention. What are we avoiding for fear that we will not succeed? We are stronger than we think. This week, I have to face some things I would rather not. Will I be as brave and noble as Kendra? If the challenge is there in front of me, it must be that I can rise to it, right? Let me know how you face your challenges, and I will let you know how I face mine.

Some say that reading (especially fantasy) is pure escapism; I think there is a lot we can learn. Like Kendra and Seth who can't wait to visit their grandparents again, I can't wait to read the second instalment in the Fablehaven series. See, I overcame my fear and am much better for it;)



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I still remember the effect chapter one of Deathly Hallows had on you... good to know you're finally learning to face your fears of fictional dangers!

    ReplyDelete