Tuesday, November 1, 2011

50 Book Challenge Completed!

I am so embarrassed! I have been very delinquent in recording the journey to 50 books.

I completed the challenge last week and am currently reading book 53. My kids are making good progress but I am diverting the two eldest for the month of November. The three of us are participating in National Novel Writing  Month. The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. The kids are allowed to set their own word counts. My son (16) has set his at 35,000. My daughter has not yet decided - that will be tonight's task.

Since writing is so intricately tied to reading, we have negotiated a deal with respect to the book challenge. If the kids succeed in the writing challenge, they will be able to add to their books-read count. I am allowing them to add the average number of books read per month to date. Meaning that my son, who has read 23 so far, will be able to add 3 books and my daughter who has read 31, can add 4. My math is actually quite good, by the way, I am just a generous mommy:)

You will know how much procrastinating is going on by how much posting happens here. That being said, I will try to post our progress here every so often over the month.

If you catch the writing bug, you can join us at nanowrimo.org.

Happy November!

No comments:

Post a Comment